Thursday, September 5, 2013

Cool page talking about Linux RAM usage

So, first, I've been using Linux for a really, really, really long time. Like... 1994. I had to hack a SCSI driver to get my Adaptec 2940W working. Yeah, I know - bragging, right?

I've been using top for even longer - it was a good friend on AIX, HPUX, etc. And I've certainly peeked at /proc/meminfo a few times. But something I never really new existed until recently was a cool command line tool called "free". And more to the point, I never knew something really, really basic about memory usage on Linux.

I stumbled across this page, and had to smile at the title:
Linux Ate My RAM!

It definitely opened my eyes about something I hadn't spent much time thinking about, so - thanks!
free -m... it's your friend.

No comments: